rottencupcakes

my cupcakes bring all the boys to the yard

Posts Tagged ‘paper flowers

Paper Crafting: the flowers, round 2

leave a comment »

Paper Source Giant Magnolia flower kit

from my flickr stream

Paper Source Giant Magnolia flower kitPaper Source Giant Magnolia flower kitPaper Source Giant Magnolia flower kit

Finished objects!

The gluing of wire to stem was actually not the most annoying part of these. That was annoying simply because I lack the patience to wait for glue to dry. The next step in construction was a little painful in a different way. The muscle in the meat of my hand was cramping up as I was pinching the stems together & wrapping them with floral tape. If my hand hadn’t cramped up, it most likely would have been a breeze. I would definitely recommend the kit to anyone who might have had an inkling to try it. The instructions are clear and it’s really not all that difficult. If I were going to purchase another kit, however, I would definitely go with the smaller size. The Giant Magnolia kit flowers did turn out quite pretty though.

And then there were my own original attempts of construction without a kit for the centerpieces at the wedding.

Read the rest of this entry »

Written by Julie

February 23, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Paper Crafting: the flowers, round 1

with 2 comments

test run sample flowers.

From my flickr stream

I don’t often delve into paper craft. Not anything with glue anyway. Or trimming really (I can’t cut straight to save my life). Cranes, yes. Cards printed with a Gocco, yes. Cutting up bits of paper & gluing it all together…not so much.

I am planning on making a bunch of paper flowers for our April wedding (I love how they look & how much they cost). I bought a kit from Papersource just for testing purposes; to understand how they structured theirs so I could decide how to modify it for production on a much larger scale. Turns out Papersource adorable paper flowers are a pain in the ass. But I bet it’s going to look dang pretty when they’re done.

The pattern is relatively clear though I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to use a full length of the wire per petal OR cut it in half. So I cut them in half, at least for this one flower.

Papersource suggests this stuff as a gluing agent. But I decided to go to JoAnn’s & grab some ModPodge. Truth be told, I’ve never used Mod Podge before. Ever. But I’ve always (ever since I can remember anyway) coveted it. For some reason, in my six-year-old head, it was the end-all-be-all of crafty gooeyness. I guess I will see if I was right when those petals finish drying. I’ll be following up this post with a finished product shot and more muddling madness soon.

Written by Julie

February 19, 2009 at 10:00 am