rottencupcakes

my cupcakes bring all the boys to the yard

Posts Tagged ‘DIY

Wedding Collateral, did you say?

leave a comment »

Julie & Scott get hitched.

Julie & Scott get hitched.

I think this was the most enjoyable part about wedding planning (other than tasting cupcakes, of course!).

Scott & I have fairly different aesthetics so it was a fun challenge to mesh them together. Obviously, I lean towards the retro-adorable side and he leans more toward modern-awesome.

More invitation goodness after the jump! Read the rest of this entry »

Written by Julie

May 6, 2009 at 9:28 am

IKEA mini-hack of Billy the Bookcase

with 9 comments

mini-hack with floral wrapping paper

mini-hack with floral wrapping paper

It’s really not much of a hack. Behold, the Billy bookcase.  Yes, IKEA, I will purchase the white one because it costs half of what every other color does ($25 vs. $50—for colors?!).

Steps:

1. Lay paper on the floor, face down.  Place back board on top of the paper. Trace your board. I needed to cut a second piece of paper to match up because I wasn’t thinking clearly: Roll your paper out long enough so you can fit the whole board on there at once.

2. Cut your paper.

3. If you’re a crafty pro or have an extra set of hands lying around, use spray adhesive to affix the paper to the board. If you’re making do because you want to get it done now & are impatient like me, grab some double sided tape you’ve got laying around and go to town.

4. Cover with contact paper.

5. Slide & tack your board as you normally would.

The bookcase itself is super easy to put together. Really, I built each of them in about 20 minutes (I bought 3 for storage in all of our new giant closets). I, of course, decided to make it ‘difficult’ on myself & papered the back board prior to sliding it in the groove & tacking the bottom edge. It was only mildly aggravating. It would have been better if I could find all the tools I own (mainly my rotary cutter & spray adhesive).

I purchased wrapping paper from The Container Store, the one pictured & a second pattern of dark brown & light blue. This floral pattern paper, while adorable, was the one that was not-so-great to work with. It was a little slick, a little shiny & a little thin which made it bothersome to tack to the back board without wrinkling. That and the pattern was not an easy repeat to line up. If I had the forethought, I would have just unrolled the paper to the proper length. The other paper was really nice, a decent weight to it & matte. I would try to find these qualities when you’re looking for paper!

All in all: worth it! Takes a plain white bookcase & turns it into something a bit prettier. I will most likely end up attacking all of the bookcases in the house with this technique, much to my husband’s chagrin, I’m sure.

Written by Julie

May 4, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Paper Crafting: the flowers, round 2

leave a comment »

Paper Source Giant Magnolia flower kit

from my flickr stream

Paper Source Giant Magnolia flower kitPaper Source Giant Magnolia flower kitPaper Source Giant Magnolia flower kit

Finished objects!

The gluing of wire to stem was actually not the most annoying part of these. That was annoying simply because I lack the patience to wait for glue to dry. The next step in construction was a little painful in a different way. The muscle in the meat of my hand was cramping up as I was pinching the stems together & wrapping them with floral tape. If my hand hadn’t cramped up, it most likely would have been a breeze. I would definitely recommend the kit to anyone who might have had an inkling to try it. The instructions are clear and it’s really not all that difficult. If I were going to purchase another kit, however, I would definitely go with the smaller size. The Giant Magnolia kit flowers did turn out quite pretty though.

And then there were my own original attempts of construction without a kit for the centerpieces at the wedding.

Read the rest of this entry »

Written by Julie

February 23, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Paper Crafting: the flowers, round 1

with 2 comments

test run sample flowers.

From my flickr stream

I don’t often delve into paper craft. Not anything with glue anyway. Or trimming really (I can’t cut straight to save my life). Cranes, yes. Cards printed with a Gocco, yes. Cutting up bits of paper & gluing it all together…not so much.

I am planning on making a bunch of paper flowers for our April wedding (I love how they look & how much they cost). I bought a kit from Papersource just for testing purposes; to understand how they structured theirs so I could decide how to modify it for production on a much larger scale. Turns out Papersource adorable paper flowers are a pain in the ass. But I bet it’s going to look dang pretty when they’re done.

The pattern is relatively clear though I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to use a full length of the wire per petal OR cut it in half. So I cut them in half, at least for this one flower.

Papersource suggests this stuff as a gluing agent. But I decided to go to JoAnn’s & grab some ModPodge. Truth be told, I’ve never used Mod Podge before. Ever. But I’ve always (ever since I can remember anyway) coveted it. For some reason, in my six-year-old head, it was the end-all-be-all of crafty gooeyness. I guess I will see if I was right when those petals finish drying. I’ll be following up this post with a finished product shot and more muddling madness soon.

Written by Julie

February 19, 2009 at 10:00 am