Archive for the ‘TiLT’ Category
• The lovely jewelry stand that my mother-in-law & her family sent me as a belated birthday present. I’ve been coveting it for months & it goes perfectly in our bedroom.
• Bicycling to different areas than I normally would on my commute. I got to ride to a different section of the city today due to a work conference. It was fun! And despite being a relatively fair-weather bicycle commuter for the past 3 years, today was the first time that I ever rode my bicycle across Michigan Avenue. It’s always terrified me before! It wasn’t too scary this morning, eastbound on Ohio. And I managed to dig out my gorilla pod and snap loads on the way. Few of my favorites are much larger on my flickr set dedicated to ride photos.
• $5 Cheeseburgers from Dunlay’s on the Square. So Full.
• More food: strawberry ice cream. I get on kicks for most things and will eat/listen/watch/wear them until I tire of them and put them away. After some indistinguished point of putting them away, I take them out again & fall in love all over again. Currently this is happening with the Haagen Daas Strawbery ice cream.
• Plans to be really productive this weekend. Building a massive to do list and hoping to check some of the things off.
What’s floating you love boat this week?
• Flavor Ice! Perfect summertime treat. Yes, it’s just flavored water in a plastic sleeve but tasty & simple. Exquisitely cold on a hot July afternoon without sticky, heavy, creamy (heavenly) goodness of ice cream (which I adore). There’s something about the heat that has me chewing ice, in a most satisfying way.
• The fruition of functionality in our home office. This means I can finally sit on the futon & watch a movie off of Scott’s work monitor. The office is certainly not aesthetically delicious yet but it’s exciting to unearth the futon from beneath STUFF. It had become an overly large shelf for the past 2 apartments.
• Teaching myself some bastardized embroidery. It’s not so much embroidery as it is crazy random drawing with thread. Texxxxxture.
• Going to see a friend’s DJ set tonight at the Burlington, a very nice little bar just a 5 minute bicycle ride away. Which means….Night Ride! 😀
• The Violet Hour’s ever-changing facade (though, really, I am not as keen on the newest iteration—not pictured here).
• Dangling, out-of-place shoes. Glorious weather. Snuggly cats (Seriously, Gibson has been Aggressively Snuggling for the past few days & it’s stupid cute). Awesome husband. Mostly clean apartment. My Google Reader (I share whatever tickles my fancy at the moment) & I have some most excellent discussions with friends on there too! Finishing more hats (Which I hope to have time to shoot this weekend). Being so, so close to the weekend; I can almost taste it.
What’s ringing your bell this week?
• Ork Posters (pictured left); I just purchased this print (the extra large size!) that I’ve been eyeing for YEARS. I love love love it. They have a bunch of other cities as well. Done by a local Chicago designer, Jennifer Beorkrem.
• Drinking straws. Mostly in bubbly water + vanilla syrup. Often in just plain water too. I seem to consume more liquid whilst using a straw.
• A fabulous birthday which included seeing the movie: Up; which I thought was fantastic. I want to run around with a ton of balloons now.
• Legally changing my name & getting a new driver’s license with it on there. Julie Mack Boyce. I can’t drop my Mack but I did drop the owiak. Scott & I both would have liked to choose a completely new last name for both of us but we couldn’t decide on one in particular. Neither of us are entirely comfortable with the patriarchal leanings of the woman taking the man’s last name/becoming his property but I’m really in love with the notion of having a family name; as in my family unit has it’s own name/ a single last name. I’m not knocking anyone’s decision on the matter of should-she or shouldn’t-she, this is just what we decided on after a long thought-process. If we can ever decide on a new last name, we’ll go ahead and change it then.
• Lovely cool weather we’ve been having. Mid-70s to low-80s is pretty dang perfect. Sprinkles of rain too which are kind of damn glorious. But only when the sun is trying to shove itself out from behind the clouds.
What’s floating your love boat this week?
• Super-long weekend approacheth. Tomorrow, Saturday & Sunday (of course) & Monday as well! The 4th is my mother’s birthday & mine is the 6th. We’ve always celebrated together on the 4th of July and this year is no different. It’s one of my favorite family gatherings of the year. Lots & lots of food (bbq chicken!) and drink and sitting outside.
• I miss wearing jeans! But I threw them on last night before going out for a drink & it made me strangely happy.
• Shandies at bars with friends & giggles. Also: much talking with hands.
• Solidago (pictured above) bright sick yellow flowers that remind me of Queen Anne’s Lace.
• Lemon Poppyseed muffins
• My bicycle & her makeover. New handlebars. New grip tape. New brake levers & cables. New stem. New fenders. New tires (not rims). She’s so happy. Thank you, Dennis! Your handiwork is much appreciated.
• Shandy!. Omg— so tasty & delicious & the perfect complement to a freezepop in this hideously hot weather.
• Though the weather is horrid right now, downright steamy & uncomfortable; I can’t help but think & appreciate it. In the winter, I trudge through the snow and slush and sleet, cursing the weather and dreaming of beaches. But really, I would rather pile on the sweaters in the freezing cold than peel everything off and not find a drop of relief. The heat doesn’t usually last for long here; or least, not to me. I can’t imagine Texas right now. I’d sweat myself right out of my brain.
• My little (18 year-old) sister has taken a shine to knitting! I cannot express how excited I am about this.
• Ballpoint pen drawings. They remind me of highschool & Jenny. I’m also finding that my favorite ones to write with are not the ones I like drawing with. The pens I would consider “crappy” are the best drawing utensils. They’re kind of dry, I guess? They make shading easier, I think.
• Today is my Friday! Driving to St. Louis tonight to visit the in-laws for the weekend. Vroom.
Things I Love Thursday
What’s making me fall in love this week?
• Chicago. Always.
• The few rare days that I’ve been able to bicycle to work. The weather has been sooo rainy so I treasure the days I actually get to ride.
• Baby toes! (also the baby they’re attached to: Baby Gus! Welcome to Planet Earth & congratulations to the Family Schroeder)
• Iguana Café breakfast. Tasty, tasty coffee & breakfast sandwiches which make my mornings using public transit just fine. Just fine indeed. Oh! & smiling staff. Anyone who can smile in the morning hours gets a thumbs up from me!
• i can read lots of typography. Usually nicely designed & heartstring twanging.
Things I Love Thursday
What’s rockin’ my world this week?
• Paper Source sale items. Lots of new papers & things to play with. Hoping to find sometime this weekend to tackle a project or two.
• Working more on unpacking & setting up house (even though we moved in April!) See entranceway, work in progress, above.
• Evening bicycle rides.
• Cupcakes from Lovely, a bake shop. Super, duper tasty & the shop is so, so adorable.
• Virtual shopping at expensive stores only to write down what I’m coveting and am planning, this weekend! to find a suitable replacement in a thrift or consignment store. Wish me luck!