rottencupcakes

my cupcakes bring all the boys to the yard

Paper Crafting: the flowers, round 2

leave a comment »

Paper Source Giant Magnolia flower kit

from my flickr stream

Paper Source Giant Magnolia flower kitPaper Source Giant Magnolia flower kitPaper Source Giant Magnolia flower kit

Finished objects!

The gluing of wire to stem was actually not the most annoying part of these. That was annoying simply because I lack the patience to wait for glue to dry. The next step in construction was a little painful in a different way. The muscle in the meat of my hand was cramping up as I was pinching the stems together & wrapping them with floral tape. If my hand hadn’t cramped up, it most likely would have been a breeze. I would definitely recommend the kit to anyone who might have had an inkling to try it. The instructions are clear and it’s really not all that difficult. If I were going to purchase another kit, however, I would definitely go with the smaller size. The Giant Magnolia kit flowers did turn out quite pretty though.

And then there were my own original attempts of construction without a kit for the centerpieces at the wedding.

Paper flowers, julie-style

Paper flowers, julie-styleCardstock Paperflowers, julie-styleCardstock Paperflowers, julie-style

I had purchase floral wire, tape & some wooden picks from Michaels along with a bunch of heavy stock paper. I sat down & started cutting out free-form petal shapes, just to see what would happen. I rather like the wider petals, personally. The cardstock turned out to be too heavy & stiff to really achieve the look I was going for. Scott, my fiancé, looked at them and sort of wrinkled his nose, ever so slightly. He thought the petals were too stiff. He was right.

So I went digging through my old art supplies & scrounged up different weights of papers. The larger picture above is Bienfang Parchment 100; which is sort of a stiff tissue paper intended for tracing & design thumbnails. But it curls well & holds its shape. I also like the added effect of the transluscence. It looks like I’m going to have to rethink my paper strategy & get lighter weight paper.

I also found a way around my glue-drying impatience, ever-so-slightly, by layering the petals. I took two petals of different size & shape and sandwiched the wire in the middle. It doesn’t technically dry any faster but it gives the wire more to stick to which in turn, made them more stable. I was able to use these petals much sooner than the others of Paper Source construction style. Yes, those are dried peas in the base of the vase. We’re doing mostly green with some pink touches for the wedding and dried peas are much cheaper than those little flat-backed marbles.

I think the best way to speed up the making of flowers is going to be cutting out petals in bulk. Then gluing a buch of petals & wire together. And finally, putting those pieces together. I’ve got a lot of these in my near future. The wedding is 4/4. Vroom.

Advertisements

Written by Julie

February 23, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: